Director of Construction - Industrial Development
RETS Associates has been retained by our Client, a privately held owner/developer, to recruit for a Director of Construction (“Director”) in Whittier, California. The Director will be focused on overseeing ground-up (big-box industrial building) construction as well as tenant improvement and capital improvement projects.
- Work closely with team on pre-construction phase of development.
- Prepare construction budgets and schedules.
- Coordinate with team as projects transition from the permitting stage to the construction stage.
- Oversee the interview, selection, contract negotiation, and management of third-party consultants and contractors.
- Manage project construction.
- Participate in the due diligence process for prospective projects; visit project sites to assess existing conditions. Prepare conceptual construction and/or renovation cost estimates.
- Work closely with property management, leasing and tenants on TI planning, value-engineering, and construction to ensure tenant satisfaction, cost efficiency, and timely move-in.
- Approve consultant invoices.
- Establish and maintain relationships with GC's and Sub's.
- Update team on on-going, timely written and verbal communication regarding all projects or issues.
- Close out projects with contractors and provide property management with all warranties and operations manuals.
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture/design, construction management, or civil engineering.
- 10+ years of experience managing ground-up construction of institutional quality industrial and mixed-use projects.
- Background in working for a General Contractor and an Owner preferred.
- Demonstrable experience managing other commercial asset type tenant improvement and capital improvement projects.
- Must be proficient in reading and interpreting plans and specifications.
- Strong knowledge of construction materials, methods and codes, including ADA and Title 24.
- Strong multi-tasker; ability to manage multiple complex projects on budget and on-time.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel and Project).
- Proficient in estimating, scheduling, etc.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.